Coming up with a name for a store or online business – what could be easier? If you are guided only by your own preferences, yes. But if you want to create a truly effective title, there are many subtleties to consider. I will talk about them in this article.
How to come up with the perfect name for your store or business
Naming is a creative task, so it is impossible to derive a universal formula for its solution.
Idea generation best practices will guide you on the path to the perfect business name.
However, any creativity must have guidelines. To make it easier for yourself and not choose a frankly bad name, follow the recommendations.
1. Simpler is better
All ingenious is simple. This rule works in most areas, and naming is no exception.
If you want consumers to recognize a store, its name must be remembered quickly.
According to statistics, users need an average of 7 interactions with a business to remember its name. If the name turns out to be difficult or too predictable, it will take even longer to memorize.
Not surprisingly, the names of the world s giants most often consist of one word.
2. Think about the future
When you just start a business, you dream of your first sale, going to zero and other completely mundane things.
Famous billionaires started their business in the same way. It is possible that your business will grow into something more over time.
This is why it is important to think about the future when planning a name for a company. Whether the chosen name will lose its relevance after several stages of scaling.
Example. The name “Empire of Children s Dishes” is suitable for a small business with a narrow specialization. But when the store grows into a large retailer with a wide assortment, it will clearly be “not enough” for it.
3. Don t repeat yourself
One of the biggest challenges today is coming up with a name that no one else has used. Hundreds of millions of domains are registered on the Internet, millions of stores are open in cities.
Ideal if you can come up with a unique name for your domain zone and country. Then you will definitely not be confused with a competitor.
So, what you need to consider:
- Is the domain free. The most convenient way is to test the originality of your idea using domain selection services. For example, this one. Enter your store name and preferred zone. The most popular in Russia is “.ru”. The tool will tell you if the domain name is taken. If free, great, your idea is unique. If not, go to the site and check if it is active. If the domain has been registered, but they are not engaged in it, you can contact the author and buy the rights from him.
- Are the pages on social networks free? Not every online business decides to create a website. For many, a social media presence is enough. Check if popular sites have pages with your name.
- The main thing is to check the idea with the trademark registry. For example, on this site. You can violate someone s copyright and not even know about it. Better to be sure.
By the way, try to choose names that can be easily written in Latin. This will make it easier to find your brand on the internet.
4. Consider all possible values
There are two extremes here. Some companies take a long time to build meanings and associations for their names. However, ordinary consumers often do not even know about their efforts. For example, did you know that Nike is named after the ancient Greek goddess of victory, Nike? Or that Nivea comes from the Latin word Niveus, which translates to “snow white”?
Few know about such details, but this does not mean that you can choose the simplest name without hidden meanings and associations.
This is the other extreme. The name “At Pasha” will not tell a potential consumer anything and will merge with hundreds of similar signs.
Your store name should evoke certain emotions. Of course, the name alone will not achieve the desired effect. Naming should become a link in the entire chain of brand promotion.
Also, make sure that your name is understood correctly. Check if it evokes unnecessary associations, if it will not be offensive to some consumers. For example, calling a workshop “On Wheels” is not a good option.
5. Remember the sound
The title you choose should look nice on paper / screen. He will often be seen for just one moment, so it is very important to be immediately recognized. Typography, colors, logo will help with this.
Equally important is the sound of the name. After all, they will talk about it, they will hear it in advertising, they will say it to themselves.
Rhythm, the right choice of sounds and simplicity will help to create a memorable and euphonious name of the store.
Remember, sounds have associations too. “G”, “d”, “r” – strength, masculinity, courage. “L”, “n”, “h” – softness, comfort.
Say the name of your choice aloud several times, at different rates and with different intonations. Ask your acquaintances, and preferably representatives of the target audience, to do the same. What associations does the name evoke? How does it sound?
6. Focus on the target audience
All the previous steps will be meaningless if the interests of the target audience are not taken into account when naming. Study potential clients in detail, compose portraits and formulate USP.
Based on the data obtained, build the name of the store, and then test how much the target audience will like it. If the answer suits you, you can stop at the choice.
28 examples of store names
To make it easier to come up with a name, I have collected interesting ideas for you:
- KudaGo is an online poster and travel guide.
- Tanuki (a character from Japanese mythology) is a restaurant chain.
- Bungly Boo is a brand of children s clothing.
- eLama is an ad management platform.
- MYTH (Mann, Ivanov, Ferber) – publishing house.
- Let s do it. – content marketing agency.
- Dodo Pizza is a chain of pizzerias.
- 12 STOREEZ is a clothing brand that is promoted mainly on Instagram.
- Lap-Usik is a pet store.
- Nezhno – shop of interior ceramics.
- Oh, my is a basic clothing brand.
- Setters is a communications agency.
- Bla Bla Car is a platform for finding fellow travelers.
- Chuck and Geek is a comic book store.
- Shaggy Bumblebee is a brand of ale.
- AKTO (if not us) is a manufacturer of plastic windows.
- Ace Ventura is a zoo center.
- Mamsy is a moms sales club.
- Children bags – an online store of bags (the name is on the verge, but it is remembered).
- F is a marketplace with a laconic name and the slogan “That same store”.
- ZooCheshir is a pet shop.
- DobroStroy – hardware store.
- Vodoparad – plumbing store.
- Autodok is a spare parts store.
- Sledgehammer – tool shop.
- Nadom furniture – online furniture store.
- Red and White – a chain of alcohol stores.
- Be healthy – a network of pharmacies.
There are a number of tactics that help with naming. I will list the most popular ones:
- Use of the name. It can be the sonorous surname of the founders (Tinkoff) or a recognizable character (Leonardo). This also includes toponyms (Essentuki), names and names from well-known cultural works (The Snow Queen) and mentions of animals (Red Bull).
- Adding several words, with or without reduction. An example that is on everyone s lips is Sberbank (Savings Bank).
- Rhythm and rhyme… Some words and combinations remain in memory, and for a long time. M & M s, Chupa Chups, Seven-Eleven.
- Abbreviation… These store names are not always easy to remember, so use with caution. Examples are DNS, RBT, MTS.
- Onomatopoeia… Allows you to feel the name. Schwepps – just imagine how the drink sizzles in a glass. Agusha – it is clear for whom the brand was created.
- I want it so… Sometimes the names of stores and companies have nothing to do with the product or the owner. Adobe, for example, is named after a river that ran near the home of the brand s founder. Why not, let your imagination run wild!
- Humor… An especially relevant technique that does an excellent job of attracting attention. The copy center “Infinite Reproduction” or the beauty salon “Darling, I am for 5 minutes” will definitely not be confused with anything.
Store name generators
If nothing interesting comes up, you can ask for help from special online tools. Some will compose a suitable phrase, focusing on keywords. Others will create a whole new word.
One of the best generators in the Russian-speaking segment is Generator Online, it takes into account your field of activity and the desired number of words. Namegenerator specializes in neologisms and offers many customizations.
From the English-language generators, the Shopify tool, Namelix (which will create the logo) and Wordlab can be noted.
Experiment with the settings and be patient. Name generators are not yet as smart as we would like. But they can give you an interesting thought.
Otherwise, you can always contact a freelancer or agency.
How to choose a store name: expert recommendations
I asked a seasoned marketer and entrepreneur how they recommend choosing a name for your store or company. Here are the recommendations they shared.
Inna Anisimova, CEO of PR Partner communication agency:
“The name, like parents and children, is not chosen. It comes to mind when a million words, meanings, ideas have been sorted out and you are in apathy from fatigue.
Ideal – when the name combines clarity, capacity and euphony. A legend should be built around it, which will guide the design of the corporate identity.
Before you start thinking, you need to collect information: about the product, about the audience, about the mission – to make a kind of verbal mood board. You can also pick up references. And then arrange freewriting – write whatever comes to mind and don t stop until the stream runs out.
And only after that – turn on your head, kill unsuccessful options, conduct surveys of the target audience and check if there is an association with the product niche.
It is also important for online that the name can be easily written, as well as that it is not occupied by competitors in social networks and among domain names ”.
Victoria Zolotova, founder of Innovation Camp / Fashionovation:
“In naming, it is important to consider the following:
- what the name sounds like;
- is it easy to remember;
- is it easy to pronounce;
- how it is written in different languages;
- for online stores – what will be the domain.
It is advisable to choose names that are short and easy to remember, pronounce and write.
In terms of the semantic part – ideally, when the name reflects the concept of the store itself – it can be an image, mood, atmosphere, hero, subcultural concept familiar to your audience.
Usually, the naming algorithm for choosing a name is built like this:
- What are we selling?
- What values are we broadcasting?
- How do we want to be perceived? Is our store? What is its uniqueness?
- For whom? Who is our target audience? Not just m / f 30+, but who are these people? What are they doing? What are their values? And the difficulties? What are they missing or would like? Where do they go? What do they like? What are they reading? Who are they guided by and so on.
- How are we useful? Why do they need our product? Why are they buying it?
- When buying a product, what else does the client acquire? Why he wants this particular product – more often it has to do with mood, quality, brand values, etc.
After that, having answered all these questions, write down all possible variants of the name. First, the name should reveal what will be in the store – its concept (for example – concept store, black dress, creativity look, etc.) – the language, spelling and slang should be clear to the audience and respond.
For example, if you sell dressing gowns for grandmothers, the concept store will be incomprehensible to your audience. The title should resonate with the mentality and perception of your audience. No need to chase fancy words and American slang – be clear to your audience.
Many people like to call stores by their proper names or the names of loved ones – this option is suitable if you are a designer / stylist and have somehow established yourself in the segment, the industry in which you sell, or plan to invest large budgets in promoting your own name.
The development of your own brand is now gaining more and more momentum, so if you are confident in your abilities and that you, as a person, are ready to become a brand – an expert in your field – why not? “
Now you have all the information you need to create your dream store name. Consider expert advice, listen to inspiration, and test ideas. Only then will the most successful name be chosen.